Sunday, September 18, 2011

What I've Learned

(previously written, never posted)

2010 was a very lesson-filled year for me. What I learned during that year was more than I've probably learned my entire life; certainly more than what I've learned in the several years prior.

I'm ashamed, yet kind of proud, to admit that one of the most important things I learned was that I am no better than anyone else. Who am I to judge?

I learned that the ONLY person I need to justify anything to is myself. I don't mind opinions but the decisions are my own to make and I am capable of making them.

I learned that it really is okay to make mistakes and wrong decisions. It's also okay to change my mind. I mean really, who gives a crap if I lived in three different states all in one year? I was fine with my decisions at the times that I made them and that's really all that matters.

I learned that even the smallest gesture can sure change a person's attitude and perspective. We should all remember to never underestimate how much of an impact a simple and kind gesture can have on another person.

I learned that some peoples' outlooks on life are just plain shitty and there is absolutely nothing that anyone else can say or do to change that; the change must come from within. I also learned that it does me no good to feed in to that same outlook.

I learned that I am capable and intelligent and even though I don't know everything...I have it in me to do whatever I set my mind to! Moving forward, I will not allow anyone else to make me feel otherwise.

I learned that it's not my place to tell someone else's story; to share things that happened in their lives. Doing so is nothing more than gossiping. Admittedly... this is a work in progress, but I'm trying.

I learned that I need to worry less about what people might say. If what I'm doing or saying is not against the law, offensive or just plain wrong - who freaking cares.

And most of all, I learned that sometimes we just need to sit back and enjoy the ride. We only get one chance at this thing called life!

No comments:

Post a Comment